Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

I didn't totally understand until our Dinner In The Boys Fort & a board member mentioned the policy, the organization- Our House is 100% operated & staffed by volunteers. This mean that the entire $800 raised that evening will go to services for people with HIV that make Our House their refuge. All our expenses, hard work, creativity did not go to paying a CEO's $200,000  yearly salary. I am pleased about that information.

The setting in the Boys' Fort

Even with our choosing the date & the hour, & with the info published in the catalogue, The Husband & I had it in our heads that the event started at 6pm. We were mistaken. When the first guests arrived a few minutes after 5pm, the Husband was naked & dripping wet from a shower & I was sneaking a slug from the vodka as I worked on the ingredients for the opening cocktail.


Our hero checking out final details...

The entire evening felt a bit harried & off rhythm, but I believe the guests didn't take note or pick up on the vibe. I was honest with them & the guests offered to drive around for an hour. I insisted not.

It was a pitch perfect evening, high 70s with a breeze, interesting mix of personalities, The Husband's dazzling dinner, my urbane & witty wine choices & a through line of strangers who are friends for an evening, lives colliding to help others.


The scrolls tied with twine are the menus & I made a custom mixed CD for each guest, also placed on the table, because & I am generous & talented & giving. Sometimes I give until hurts.

Giving a gift is so superior in the reward than receiving a gift. I will count the evening as a special 4 hours in my considerable lifetime.

This is the pass-through that serves as the bridge from the house to the Boys' Fort.

The event in full swing...

First course, watermelon & shinned cherry tomato in olive oil
 & basil vinaigrette

Chilled Cucumber Soup & Ratatouille

I suspect that there is not photograph of the main course, a lemon & asparagus risotto, because of the vodka nipping on the photographers part. Sorry!
 This is dessert, coconut ice with black & blue berries.

A guest had emailed The Husband, 24 hours before the event, indicating that she did not partake of flour or sugar. We always prepare a meal for the lowest common denominator, so The Husband scrapped the black pepper biscuits with cashew cream at the last moment & then guest refused the dessert anyway. I was grateful to her, her request cut out a difficult final last course that involved baking.

The Husband informs me that I passed out before the final guests said their good-nights. Note to readers: consider my disposition before inviting me to an event, no matter how well intentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment